General Information


A building permit must be obtained from City Hall prior to beginning any work on a building project. The building inspector receives a copy so the permit does not need to be posted. The permit applicant (homeowner or contractor) is responsible for scheduling all required inspections, as well as a final inspection upon completion of the project. The permit applicant is also responsible for correcting any work that does not meet building code requirements. Building permit fees are based on the valuation of the building project.
It is always best to contact our building official, Steve Schroeder, to discuss your specific project and determine what permits are required.  
Steve's office hours are Monday - Wednesday - Friday 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. or you may contact him on his cell phone at 218-849-3618 between 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. 
When to get permits
A building permit is required when any building is erected, enlarged, altered, moved, or demolished.
Applying for a building permit and inspections are required on all projects. The owners or contractors are responsible for having the proper inspections done by the Dilworth Building Official. A building permit is required before construction starts. Permits are available only at City Hall.
  • New Residential & Commercial Buildings
  • Garages/Carports (Both Attached & Detached)
  • Residential & Commercial Additions (Including Porches, 3-Season Rooms, Etc.)
  • Residential & Commercial Alterations (Including Finishing Previous Unfinished Area, Walls, Adding a room, Doorways, Etc.)
  • Residential & Commercial Remodeling (Any repair/replacement to existing buildings which changes the structural portion.)
  • New Accessory Structures (Including Sheds, Pools, Decks, Gazebos, Etc.)
  • Home Improvements Including Roofing & Siding.
  • Windows, Only When Window Frames and Headers are Being Replaced
  • Replacement & Changes of City Sidewalk & Driveway Approaches Need a Permit & Inspection.
You don’t need a permit if your improvements include only: 
  • Painting
  • Wallpapering
  • Cabinet or vanity replacement
  • Installation of carpeting, vinyl or wood flooring 
  • Plumbing service, i.e. faucet repair, drain augering
All electrical work must be done through the Minnesota State Electrical Inspector Rod Shaffer (701) 235-2840.
Do I need a contractor? 
As a homeowner-occupant, you may obtain a permit for any construction to your own home without hiring a contractor.  A property owner performing construction work will be responsible for complying with all laws and ordinances just as a contractor would be. 
If you do hire a contractor, Minnesota law requires residential building contractors and plumbing and electrical contractors to be licensed in the State of Minnesota and to provide the license number on all bids and advertisements.  Mechanical contractors are required to be bonded with the State of Minnesota.
How do I find a good contractor? 
The City of Dilworth does not endorse any specific contractor, but here are some suggestions:
I need a permit, what’s next?
The Building Official will review your plans and issue a permit after any adjustments are made to comply with the code. Starting work without a permit is a violation. Once the permit is issued, you may begin your project. Permits are good for 180 days. On-site building inspections will be conducted to verify that construction complies with the applicable codes.
If there is a questions on your particular project about permits please contact the building official, Steven Schroeder (218) 849-3618. He can determine the best approach that would apply to your project.
Helpful Handouts
To help answer general questions about specific building projects, please refer to the informational handouts listed below. These handouts provide general information for building projects.